If you are clipping your dog’s nails, you most probably are using a nail clipper designed for dogs. And, over time these clippers will need to be sharpened. But, can you sharpen these nail clippers, and how will you be able to sharpen the nail clippers?
It is important to make sure that you know exactly how to sharpen dog nail clippers if you don’t want to ruin it.
With this guide, you will get all the information you’ll need about sharpening these nail clippers.
Why Should You Clip Your Dog’s Nails?
Why should you clip your dog’s nails in the first place? Isn’t this something that is getting trimmed by themselves when they are running and playing outside?
Some of the dogs are trimming their nails by playing, especially when they are playing and running on cement. However, this doesn’t happen all the time, and not all the nails are getting trimmed equally.
You still need to make sure that it is getting trimmed. It is in the dog’s best interest to trim the dog’s nails. And, you need to use a specialized dog nail clipper for it.
Can You Sharpen a Dog Nail Clipper?
Can you sharpen a dog nail clipper, or do you need to replace it when it isn’t sharp enough to be used anymore?
You can sharpen some of the dog nail clippers. And yes, it is recommended that you always need to use a nail clipper that is sharp and that won’t hurt the dog when you trim their nails. This can happen that a nail clipper is hurting them because it won’t cut anymore.
So, it is recommended that you are sharpening the clippers on a regular basis, or before each use if you are using the clipper on more than one dog.
Different Nail Clippers Need to Be Sharpened Differently
Something that you need to consider, is that there is a different type of dog nail clippers that you can purchase. And, therefore there are different ways that it needs to be sharpened.
You can’t sharpen it the same way, because they will need to be taken apart to be sharpened, differently. There is a basic guide in how you can sharpen the clippers, but you need to take into consideration that you might need a manual for the clipper that you have currently.
There are even some dog nail clippers that can’t be sharpened and that needs to be replaced. This can end up really expensive to purchase new nail clippers all the time.
Guide in How to Sharpen Dog Nail Clippers
This is the basic guide in how you can sharpen the dog nail clippers. It is important that you are only taking this as a guide, because as we said before different nail clippers need to be sharpened differently.
This is the guide in how to sharpen the dog nail clippers.
- The first thing that you will need to do, is to dismantle the nail clipper so that you can get the blade of the clipper without any problems. You should take anything that can come between you and the blade away. If you can’t then the clipper can’t be sharpened.
- Cleaning the blade before sharpening is essential. If you are sharpening the blade, and there is any debris on the blade, you can damage the blade and it won’t be able to cut anymore. Washing the blades with soap and water is recommended.
- To sharpen the blade, you need to make use of grinding stone or the sharpening rod. There are many places where you can purchase these if you don’t have one at home. Finding one online isn’t hard at all.
- After you have sharpened it using the grinding stone or sharpening rod, you need to put the nail clipper back together and wash it thoroughly. Making sure that it is clean again.
- Now, it is ready to use again, as sharp as it was in the beginning.
When Should You Consider Purchasing a New Nail Clipper?
It might be time to consider purchasing a new dog nail clipper if you have sharpened it a couple of times, and there isn’t much of the blade left. Or, the blade is damaged, and you can’t sharpen it anymore.
Even, if you are sharpening the blade with care, there will still come a time that the nail clipper will not be able to be sharpened. Then. Replacing it will be a lot easier.
Now, you know how to sharpen a dog nail clipper. You also know if this is really necessary to cut dog nails and to sharpen the nail clipper on a regular basis.
It is essential to make sure that the dog is happy, and having short nails that isn’t painful is the way to go. But this means that you need to sharpen their nail clippers all the time.